Benefits: Report a change in circumstances

Changes you need to tell us about

All changes in circumstances must be reported immediately to the Benefits Office.

If the change results in an increase in benefit, you must let us know within one calendar month of the date of the change.

If you delay in telling the Benefits Office you will only be paid the increase from the Monday following the date you reported the change (unless there are special reasons for the delay).

If the change results in a reduction of benefit, it will be effective from the Monday following the actual date the change occurred.

Examples of changes in circumstances that must be reported:

  • Starting or stopping receiving Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or any other state benefit
  • Starting or stopping work
  • Working more or fewer hours
  • Changes to income or savings
  • Changes in Tax Credits
  • A child leaves home or finishes school
  • Someone moves into or out of your household
  • Change of address
  • Rent increases or decreases
  • Changes to non-dependants' income or circumstances
  • Someone goes into or comes out of hospital
  • Someone is on remand or in prison

Please note that failure to report a change in circumstances is an offence that may lead to prosecution.