A guide to Housing Benefit

Claim housing benefit

When you claim housing benefit, please provide proof of all your income and capital to support your claim.

Your award will normally start on the Monday following the date your application form is received by the Benefits Office, although there are exceptions.

If you pay Council Tax on your home you might also be entitled to Council Tax Reduction to help with this. You only need to complete one claim form. We will assess your entitlement to both benefits at the same time.

You must now claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support online. It's quick, easy and convenient to do.

First you need to register for Your Account, which helps you manage some Council services online. If you are already registered, simply sign in.

The claim form can be found within the Your Services area, under the Benefits service.

If you also want to claim Free School Meals, this will be automatically processed if you are awarded Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and you get any of the qualifying benefits.

Sign in or register for Your Account