How we use your benefit claim information

We will use the information we hold about you to process your claim for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Free School Meals.

We may pass the information to other agencies or organisations, such as the Department for Work and Pensions or Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs as allowed by law.

We may check information you have provided, or information about you that someone else has provided, with other information held by us.

We may also get information about you from certain third parties, or give them information in order to:

  • Prevent or detect crime
  • Protect public funds
  • Make sure the information is correct

These third parties include government departments, other councils and private-sector companies such as banks, as well as organisations that may lend you money and companies that assist us in fraud detection and prevention such as Experian.

We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless the law permits.

The Council is the data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act.