All cameras are colour and have pan, tilt and zoom capabilities, they are situated throughout the town and are monitored and recorded 24 hours per day.
Evidence is retained for a period of 31 days.
We use cameras to:
- Make Rotherham a safe and clean place in which to live, work and visit;
- Reduce antisocial behaviour, youth nuisance, drug and alcohol misuse, and provide public reassurance;
- Gain evidence of environmental crimes such as graffiti, vandalism, littering and fly-tipping;
- Ensure that traffic flows easily and safely through the town's streets;
- Provide traffic management support and enforcement of moving traffic offences; and
- Provide assistance and direction in the event of a major emergency in the town.
Please note that recorded images may be used for research purposes.
CCTV in Rotherham
Effective CCTV services are pivotal in tackling crime and disorder, antisocial behaviour and environmental crime. CCTV also assists in effectively managing traffic, e.g. bus lanes.
We take a zero-tolerance approach to these issues, and use CCTV to confront the issues in and around our city, making your Neighbourhoods safer, cleaner and stronger.
CCTV cameras operate in the following areas:
- Town centre
The cameras are supported by several radio systems linking pubs and clubs, and store security both across the city centre and south of the city.
A police officer is also present in the control room around the clock. Both of these tools help to ensure that a rapid response to incidents can be made.
Cameras are monitored in accordance with local priorities, and this is led by analysis of crime trends through discussions with local police and partner agencies.