You can appeal to lower the Council Tax band for your home in some cases. For example:
- If the property has changed from commercial to residential use, or vice versa
- If there have been physical changes in the local area that affect its value
The Valuation Office Agency deals with Council Tax banding appeals. There is no charge for this service.
You can challenge you band online using the Valuation Office Agency website:
- Search for and select your property on the Council Tax valuation list
- Follow the link: ‘Do you think this Council Tax band is wrong?’
- On that page, follow the link ‘Check if you can formally challenge your Council Tax band’
You should continue you pay your Council Tax whilst your case gets decided.