If you think your Council Tax band is wrong

If you think that your Council Tax band is wrong, you can ask the Valuation Office Agency to look at it and decide if it should change. There is no charge for this service.

You can usually only appeal within six months of:

  • A change in the band of your property
  • Becoming a new Council Tax payer for the property

You can challenge you band online using the Valuation Office Agency website:

  1. Search for and select your property on the Council Tax valuation list
  2. Follow the link: ‘Do you think this Council Tax band is wrong?’
  3. On that page, follow the link ‘Check if you can formally challenge your Council Tax band’

You should continue you pay your Council Tax whilst your case gets decided.

Challenge your Council Tax band