Register to vote

Register to vote as a Crown Servant or as a British Council employee

If you work as a Crown Servant or as an employee of the British Council overseas, you can register to vote as a service voter.

You can also register if you are the spouse or civil partner of a Crown Servant or British Council employee and you're accompanying them during their employment abroad.

You must still fit the eligibility criteria in order to register as a Crown servant.

You'll be able to vote in all elections and referendums you are eligible for.

If you are currently working abroad and not able to go to your polling station in Rotherham, you will need to consider applying for either a postal or proxy vote.

Postal ballot papers are usually sent to overseas voters two to three weeks before polling day and completed postal ballot papers must reach the Returning Officer by 10pm on polling day, otherwise it will not be counted.

Postal votes can be affected by problems with international post systems, and it can't be guaranteed that they will arrive in time. Appointing a proxy is the best way to make sure you're able to cast your vote.

You can apply for a postal or proxy vote online:

Contact Electoral Services

To contact Electoral Services use our online form below.