Making changes to your council home

If you are a secure tenant (you have been a tenant for at least one year), you can make changes to your home but you must get written permission from the Council before you do any work. We need to make sure the changes will be safe for your home and neighbours.

If you install an electric or gas appliance in your home, it is your responsibility to make sure that it is installed and properly maintained and serviced by a qualified person. Any building or structural work must also be done by a qualified person.

We will charge you for any unauthorised work that results in extra costs to put right or change back.

Make a council housing enquiry