It's nearly May and there's lots of fun events taking place across Rotherham.
The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Events
Coming soon... look out for our dedicated special edition newsletter for The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Events, to celebrate this historic occasion - watch this space!
This month, the Rotherham 10k returns! After two years of not being able to hold the event, Rotherham 10k returns this year on Sunday 15 May 2022 starting from 10am in Clifton Park. To take part in this year’s race, please go to www.rotherham10k.com.
As the tournament excitement builds to Rotherham hosting matches this summer for the UEFA Women's EURO 2022 at the New York Stadium, the National Roadshow celebrating UEFA Women's EURO 2022 is visiting Clifton Park, Rotherham on Sunday 22 May from 11am to 5pm. It will be a free national Roadshow that will showcase the best of football, fitness and music - we hope you can join in!
Also, there's lots of events taking place in Rotherham Libraries. It is Share a Story Month from 1 to 31 May, Children's Book Week from 3 to 9 May and Mental Health Awareness week from 9 to 15 May. Libraries are holding Elmer Day events - from 23 to 28 May to celebrate Elmer the Patchwork Elephant's children's books, one of the most widely read children’s book series of all time, with fun craft activities, rhyme times, trails and activity sheets for children to take part in.
Rotherham Civic Theatre will be hosting How to Be a Better Human, a spoken word comedy about grief, loss and self-acceptance. It tells Chris' story of losing two of the biggest relationships in his life - Dad and Wife - in the space of a few months. It finds the lightness and humour in death, loss and divorce, exploring how they help us become better at empathising, connecting and understanding. Don't miss How to Be a Better Human on Saturday 7 May, 7.30pm.
Events in May include:
- Every Monday, 3pm to 4pm, Swinton Queen School - after school reading club. Share a story with parents, teachers and staff, Swinton Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Every Wednesday in May, 10am to 12noon, Fancy a brew and a chat too? Join us for our coffee morning! Central Library, Riverside House
- Sunday 1 to Tuesday 31 May, Share a Story Month - we're encouraging children to enter our story competition with the chance to win a prize! Entries will be displayed for everyone to enjoy, Aston Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Sunday 1 to Tuesday 31 May, Local and Community History Month - we will have a book display and information available, Dinnington Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Sunday 1 to Tuesday 31 May, Display of old photos of the local area, Swinton Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Sunday 1 to Tuesday 31 May, Local community history month - display of local history books, Thorpe Hesley Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Sunday 1 to Tuesday 31 May, National share a story month – a story time to follow our regular Rhyme Time sessions, Thorpe Hesley Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Sunday 1 May, 5am to 8am, Dawn Chorus Walk Event, Herringthorpe Valley Park and woodlands
- From Tuesday 3 May, Share a Story Month – Pick up your Zine making kit (kits available from 3 May) and share your story with us, Central Library, Riverside House
- Tuesday 3 to Monday 9 May, Children’s Book Week activities - includes a treasure hunt, colouring and a display, Dinnington Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Thursday 3 to Monday 9 May, Children’s book week. Collect colouring sheets, do word searches and see our book display, Thorpe Hesley Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 7, 14, 21 and 28 May, 9am, Rother Valley parkrun, Rother Valley Country Park - a 5K Run for beginners to experienced runners, all welcome. A free, fun, and friendly weekly 5k community event. Walk, jog, run, volunteer or spectate – it's up to you. You need to register online before you first come along. Please register in advance to gain your free bar code on the parkrun website. Only register with parkrun once and don't forget to bring a scannable copy of your barcode (request a reminder). If you forget it, you won't get a time. Normal Parking charges for the park apply. To volunteer please email: email@example.com
- Saturday 7, 14, 21 and 28 May, 9am, Rotherham parkrun, Clifton Park
- Monday 9 to Sunday 15 May, Mental Health Awareness week. We will have a display to promote leaflets and booklets, Thorpe Hesley Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Tuesday 10 May, 5K Rother Valley Relays Event - Hillsborough and Rivelin Running Club, Rother Valley Country Park
- Thursday 12 and Thursday 26 May, 4pm to 6.30pm, Research your Roots – drop in and explore your family history, Central Library, Riverside House
- Saturday 14 May, 10am to 3pm, Saturday Crafters Market, Effingham Street
- Sunday 15 May, Rotherham 10k, runners in the 10K will set off at 10am, with the start and finish in Clifton Park. The Fun Run/Schools ‘Run a Mile’ will take place at 12 noon in Clifton Park. To take part in this year’s race, please go to www.rotherham10k.com
- Wednesday 18 May, 5.45pm to 6.45pm, Bookworms Readers' Group - for the adults we are opening up our reader’s group - come along and see what we are about! This month we are sharing our new finds and favourite books to recommend to each other with a lively discussion, Aston Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Sunday 22 May, 10am to 3pm, British Long Distance Swimming Association Club Event, Thrybergh Country Park
- Sunday 22 May, 11am to 5pm, National Roadshow celebrating UEFA Women's EURO 2022, Clifton Park
- Sunday 22 May, 5K and 10K Neurocare Headstart - Head Start 5K & 10K 2022 for Sheffield Hospitals Charity, Rother Valley Country Park
- Monday 23 May, 9.30am to 10.15am and Tuesday 24 May, 2.pm to 2.45 pm, Elmer Day: Elmer themed rhyme times and activity sheets, Dinnington Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 28 May, 10am to 12noon, Elmer craft and trail, Swinton Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 28 May, 10.30am to 12.30pm, Elmer Day - today is Elmer Day, so in Lego Club we are celebrating all things Elmer with a story and creative building. Dads can join in the fun too! Aston Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Thursday 26 May and Saturday 28 May, 10.30am to 11.30am, Elmer Day craft activity: colouring and activity sheets, Thorpe Hesley Library and Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 28 May, 2pm to 3pm, Super Saturday Story Stop – Elmer Day! Join us for Elmer themed stories and crafts, Central Library, Riverside House
Host regular weekly activities across the borough such as: Lego clubs, Rhymetimes, computer classes, knit and natter groups, advice sessions, craft sessions, readers groups and local history groups.
Why don't you set up or join in a Fun Palace in our local community. Do you want to get together with people from your local community? Do you have an interest or secret skill you'd like to share with the local community?
The Fun Palace celebration weekend takes place on the first weekend of October. To get involved in a Fun Palace across Rotherham's libraries, parks or in a centre - read more information here.
Rotherham Civic Theatre has lots of entertaining performances taking place which includes:
Sleepover (Sunday 1 May, 6pm and 8.30pm)
The Manfreds (Thursday 5 May, 7.30pm)
How to Be a Better Human (Saturday 7 May, 7.30pm)
The Long Way Home (Friday 13 May, 7.30pm)
Dracula (Saturday 14 May, 7.30pm)
Exciting Science (Tuesday 31 May, 2pm)
Plus many more shows, for more details go to: www.rotherhamtheatres.co.uk
For more information visit the Rotherham Markets website.
General Outdoor Market, Monday, Friday and Saturday, 8.30am to 4pm, Rotherham Outdoor Market
Second - Hand Market: Clothes and Shoes, Every Tuesday and Wednesday, 8.30am to 2.30pm, Rotherham Outdoor Market
Bric-a-Brac and Second - Hand: Clothes and Shoes, Every Wednesday, 8.30am to 2.30pm, Rotherham Outdoor Market
Street Market, Every Tuesday 8.30am to 4pm, Effingham Street, Effingham Square, and Howard Street
Rotherham Bazaar, Every Thursday 10am to 4pm, Rotherham Outdoor Market
Indoor Market, Monday to Saturday 8.30am to 5pm, Rotherham Centenary Market