This Saturday marks 50 days to go until the start of the UEFA Women's EURO 2022 tournament at New York Stadium and we're counting down to the international matches being played in Rotherham.
To celebrate the games there will be three months of music, dance, theatre, art and much more across Rotherham.
A new exhibition, Grass Roots To Glory - Our Story So Far (18 June - 9 October), will be launched in Clifton Park Museum. This exhibition charts the powerful and personal story of women’s football across Rotherham.
For each match that Rotherham hosts, the town centre will be transformed by a spectacular Fan Party (10, 14, 18 & 23 July), bringing you a festival of dance, movement, music, food and football skills.
On 16 & 17 July, be inspired at the WOW Rotherham festival in Clifton Park. The event will be a vibrant, colourful, bold, fun, and fearless celebration of women, girls, trans and non-binary communities, connecting Rotherham to other women and girls across the globe as part of the WOW – Women of the World – family.
We also hope you can join in with a travelling programme of 'Make Your Mark' events, which include workshops and have-a-go masterclasses that will be touring to communities across the borough, giving everyone a chance to get involved and help shape how Rotherham celebrates the beautiful game.
Finally, don’t forget to buy tickets to the tournament! www.uefa.com/womenseuro/ticketing
Sunday 22 May, 11am to 5pm, National Roadshow celebrating UEFA Women's EURO 2022 in Clifton Park, The free Roadshow will offer an introduction to football, with a chance to learn new football skills and tricks as well as try matchday presenting and interviewing in a special TV studio. Featuring live music from local artists and a showpiece football pitch, alongside the opportunity to get a picture with the trophy itself, each event will provide a variety of fun for all the family.
Arts and Heritage Programme:
- Saturday 18 June, 10am to 3pm, Exhibition Launch: Grass Roots To Glory - Our Story So Far at Clifton Park Museum, This exhibition charts the powerful and personal story of women’s football across Rotherham. Join us for the exhibition launch on Saturday 18 June. The exhibition runs until Sunday 9 October 2022. Free event.
- Sunday 26 June, 7.30pm, Offside. With punchy storytelling, lyrical poetry and dynamic physicality, Offside places you right on the touchline of the game of a lifetime. Tickets £8 - £10, Rotherham Civic Theatre
- Wednesday 29 & Thursday 30 June, ENG-ER-LAND. It’s 1997. 13-year-old Lizzie went to her first in-person football game, and she’s been obsessed ever since. This energetic play explores who’s really on your team. Tickets £8 - £10, Rotherham Civic Theatre (Join a FREE Workshop from 1pm to 2.30pm on 29 June to learn about writing for the stage, producing and securing funding)
- Friday 1 July & Saturday 2 July, 7.30pm, The Damned United. Take a journey inside the tortured mind of Brian Clough, in a story that brings to life the beauty and brutality of football, the working man’s ballet. Tickets £10 - £12, Rotherham Civic Theatre
- Saturday 16 July & Sunday 17 July, 10am to 5pm, WOW Rotherham in Clifton Park. The two-day festival celebration will inspire through a series of events, talks, debates, workshops, mentoring and performances. Day tickets: £9, Weekend tickets: £14. Some workshops and activities are free to attend. Tickets are available from www.rotherhamtheatres.co.uk
- Sunday 17 July, performance times vary, Supercompensation Cycle - Join award-winning artist Emma Smith and a cast of local dancers and performers as they prepare the borough for peak-tournament action, Free event, Clifton Park
- Monday 18 July, Rotherham Town Centre, Hear the Anthem for Rotherham - an anthem celebrating Rotherham’s unique history, heritage and local sporting heroes will be performed by local school children and musicians alongside the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Quintet
Make your Mark:
Throughout June and July, a travelling programme of events, workshops and have-a-go masterclasses will be touring to communities across the borough, giving everyone a chance to get involved and help shape how Rotherham celebrates the beautiful game.
From merch making workshops to get you match ready to dance classes, and music making workshops, keep your eye on the @RMBCEvents social media pages for the latest events near you.
- Tuesday 22 June, Tuesday 5 July, Wednesday 6 July, & Wednesday 20 July, 12.30pm to 1.15pm, ‘Little Kicks’ - Join Little Nelson for a super sporty session of outdoor games! Practice throwing and catching, then have a go at scoring into our own mini goal. Every child receives a medal! No booking needed. FREE event, Under 5s, Clifton Park Museum
- Saturday 2 July, 11am to 12pm, C’mon Make a Noise! Join our team and create your own vuvuzelas, clackers, and whistlers. FREE event Age 6+. Booking essential: 01709 823606, Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
- From Wednesday 6 July, Table Football - Drop in and play! Under 11s must be accompanied by an adult. FREE event, All ages, Riverside House Library
& Neighbourhood Hub
- Wednesday 6 to Saturday 30 July, Riverside Treasure Trail - Follow the clues, find the goals and win the match! Drop in to play. FREE event, Age 6+, Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
- Wednesday 6 to Saturday 30 July, Football Raps and Limericks Competition - Enter a rhythmic rap or ludicrous limerick with a chance to win a prize! Deadline Sat 30 July, FREE event, Age 6+, Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 9 July, 11am to 12pm, Blow Football - Design and make your own football pitch, grab a straw and play. Booking essential: 01709 823606. FREE event, Age 6+, Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 9 July & Saturday 23 July, 2pm to 3pm, Football Raps and Limericks Workshop - Join the Riverside team for some ridiculous rhyming! FREE event, Age 6+. Booking essential: 01709 823606, Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 16 July, 11am to 12pm, Trench Football - Design and make your own maze and guide your ball to glory. Booking essential: 01709 823606. FREE event, Age 6+, Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
- From Thursday 21 July, Subbuteo - Come and play for free. Under 11s must be accompanied by an adult. (Tournament on Wednesday 27 July). FREE event, All ages, Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 23 July, 11am to 12pm, Which Kit? Design and create your own
game. Guess the right shirt and win the match. Booking essential: 01709 823606. FREE event, Age 6+, Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
- Saturday 30 July, 11am to 12pm, On Me ‘Ed!, Make a cone and pom poms for
this crazy catching game. Booking essential: 01709 823606, FREE event, Age 6+,
Riverside House Library & Neighbourhood Hub
Rotherham is proud to be a host city, in delivering a record-breaking UEFA Women's EURO Championships this July. As one of nine host cities and 10 match venues, Rotherham is playing a vital role in supporting the continued growth of women and girls’ football in England. The best female players in Europe will join football fans from across the globe at Rotherham’s New York Stadium, for three group games and a quarter final.
Tickets are now available on a first come, first served basis – but hurry, demand is high and some matches are expected to sell out! You can secure your match tickets from just £10 for adults and £5 for concessions. Tickets are selling fast - get yours today and be part of the show! Buy tickets to the tournament here: www.uefa.com/womenseuro/ticketing
Football matches that will take place at the New York Stadium, Rotherham are:
Group Stage matches
France v Italy - Sunday 10 July, 8pm
France v Belgium - Thursday 14 July, 8pm
Iceland v France - Monday 18 July, 8pm
Winner D v Runner-up C - Saturday 23 July, 8pm
Join the Fan Party:
For each match that Rotherham hosts, the Town Centre will be taken over by a festival of dance, movement, music, and food.
Enjoy performance and music at All Saint’s Square, football-themed workshops and masterclasses along College Street, food and drink at Minster Gardens, and a beautiful new public artwork at Effingham Square, all hosted by the South Yorkshire Siren herself, Myra Dubois.
Each Fan Party will take place in Rotherham Town Centre on:
- Sunday 10 July, 12pm to 6pm
- Thursday 14 July, 2pm to 6pm
- Monday 18 July, 2pm to 6pm
- Saturday 23 July, 12pm to 6pm