Apply for a pavement licence for your business

Pavement consents are aimed at offering the public the chance to eat and/or drink outside facilities. 

A pavement consent allows control of these areas of the highway to ensure the use of tables and chairs outside does not have any detrimental effect on the area and that the rights of all users are protected. For example, to ensure pushchair and wheelchair access remains clear at all times. 

The pavement consent can be a means of adding vitality and life to areas, helping to maximise the use of our public spaces and offer a range of facilities for people who live, work and visit the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Pavement consents are aimed at providing discrete outdoor areas for cafe style food led cafes or licensed premises. Where customers are offered the chance to purchase both and drink and any alcohol sales are incidental to the food service. 

The grant of any consent to use the councils land for this purpose is considered on its own merits and discretionary.

Can you put tables and chairs outside during the Covid-19 pandemic?


As of 22nd July 2020, The Business and Planning Act 2020 Gained Royal assent and has come into immediate effect.

The act offers an opportunity for any premises selling food and or drink to apply to use the highway land on a temporary basis to assist with being able to socially distance customers wishing to consume the purchased food or drink.

See the Government guidance on the new provisions for pavement licences

See the Government guidance for temporary alcohol licensing provisions

How to apply

You will need to complete the application form and submit alongside all required supporting documents.

As part of your application, you will need to provide:

  • a plan showing the location and size of the outside area being requested with the table positions indicated on the plan
  • photographs of the proposed furniture
  • public liability insurance minimum £15 million cover
  • a completed copy of the notice to be displayed at the premises
  • a photograph of the notice shown in situ at the premises

Your application will not be complete until all documents and fee are received.

Apply for a pavement licence for your business

How much will it cost?

The fee has been set by the Business and Planning Act 2020 at £100.

You will be able to make payment for your application online as you complete the application form.