Following the most recent government guidance about tables and chairs licences, the Highways Licensing team will now be handling these applications. This is a temporary change, and we will keep this webpage updated with the most current advice.
Many pubs, restaurants, wine bars and cafés may wish to have seating and tables outside their premises for the use of their customers. This page gives information on how to apply for a licence to place tables and chairs on the highway, and also how to view applications under consultation.
Do I require a licence for placing tables or chairs outside my premises?
If you wish to place tables or chairs on the pavement and it is part of the public highway, you will need a licence.
This is to ensure that adequate space is available for the safe and free movement of all highway users, taking into account social distancing, and that consideration is given to possible noise disturbance for local residents and nearby shops and offices.
How much will it cost?
The most recent government guidance states that applications will cost a maximum of £100.
How do I apply?
What information do you need?
You will need to provide the following information as part of your application:
- A plan showing the location of the premises shown by a red line, so the application site can be clearly identified.
- A plan clearly showing the proposed area to be covered by the licence in relation to the highway, if not to scale, with measurements clearly shown.
- Photos or brochures showing the proposed type of furniture and information on potential siting of it within the area applied.
- A copy of the premise’s current insurance certificate. Public Liability cover should be a minimum of £5,000,000.
- You will also be required to display a notice in your premises window advertising your application and inform neighbouring properties of your proposals,
How long is the licence for?
The licence is valid for a period of up to 12 months
How do I view or comment on applications that are open to consultation?
What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?
If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the licence, please Email: [email protected]