If your child has been refused a place at your preferred school(s) you have the right to appeal against that decision. Further information and advice is in the Rotherham School Admission Appeals Guidance booklet, the Department for Education (DfE) School Admissions Appeal Code, 2022 and the Advice Document for parents or guardians from the DfE, below.
Timescales for submitting an appeal for a Primary or Secondary School/Academy for admission in the School Year 2024/25:
- The National Offer Day for secondary school places is 1 March, 2024
- The National Offer Day for primary school places is 16 April, 2024
- You have 20 school days from the date of your refusal letter to lodge your appeal.
- You will receive at least 10 school days notice of the date of the appeal hearing from the Appeal Clerk.
- Appeals for secondary schools and academies will be held in April and May, wherever possible.
- Appeals for primary schools and academies will be held during May, June and July, wherever possible.
- After the appeal hearing you should receive a letter advising you of the outcome of your appeal within 5 school days.
There may be many appeals to consider involving several schools and academies. If you submit your appeal late you may be at a disadvantage because the appeals process has already begun or been completed. Your appeal will still be considered as soon as possible. This may be after other appeals for your preferred school(s) or academy(ies).