Voter ID

Requirement to show ID at polling station

You will have to show an official form of photographic ID when you attend a polling station to vote.

If you are voting in a polling station, you will have to show an official form of photographic ID before you can be given a ballot paper.

This applies to all local elections, referendums, Police and Crime Commissioner elections, Combined Authority Mayoral elections and Parliamentary General and by-elections.

The following list includes the photographic identification that can be presented at the polling station:

  • A passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state, or a Commonwealth country
  • A driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
  • A biometric immigration document
  • An identity card bearing Proof of Age Standard Scheme hologram (a pass card)
  • A Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • A Blue Badge
  • A national identity card issued by an EEA state
  • An Older Persons Bus Pass
  • A Disabled Persons Bus Pass
  • An Oyster 60+ Card
  • A Freedom pass
  • A Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland.
  • A 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales.
  • A Disabled Person's Welsh Concessionary Travel card issued in Wales
  • A Senior SmartPass issued in Norther Ireland
  • A Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person's Smart Pass issued in Northern Ireland
  • A 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • A Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • An Electoral Identity card issued in Northern Ireland.

Expired documents can be used, provided the photograph is still a good likeness to you.

If you are voting as a proxy on behalf of somebody else, you will need to bring your own photo ID.

Apply for Photo ID to vote

You only need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate if:

  • You do not have accepted photo ID
  • you no longer look like the photo on your ID
  • the name on your photo ID is different to your name on the electoral register.

It's free to apply and you'll need

  • a recent, digital photo of yourself
  • your National Insurance number

You can still apply if you do not have a National Insurance number. You’ll need to provide other documents to prove your identity, for example a birth certificate, bank statement and utility bill.

Apply for photo ID to vote

Other ways to apply

You can also apply using a paper application form which is available online to download and print off.  You will need a recent physical passport photo of yourself.

Alternatively, you can contact Electoral Services to request a paper application form to be sent to you.

There’s a different form for applying by post if you live abroad, you’re in the armed forces, a Crown Servant or a British Council employee.

If you are not able to complete the application online or using a paper application form, please contact Electoral Services by email or call 01709 823590