A guide to Housing Benefit

You can claim Housing Benefit:

  • If you are the qualifying age to claim Pension Credit.
  • If you live in supported accommodation (also known as specified accommodation).
  • If you live in Temporary Accommodation, that is being provided to you by the Council if you are homeless.
  • You or your partner get a benefit that includes a severe disability premium, or if the benefit ended in the last month, continue to be eligible for a severe disability premium.

If the above does not apply to you, you need to claim Universal Credit to get help with your rent.

Apply for Universal Credit

Who can claim?

  • Anyone who is liable to pay rent for living in their home
  • You must live in the UK
  • You can claim Housing Benefit even if you are working
  • You can still claim Housing Benefit even if you are not getting any other benefits

You can still claim Council Tax Support from us to help with your Council Tax. Please register and sign in to Your Account

Your account.