Demolishing part or all of a building should preferably be undertaken by a professional contractor. However, it is your responsibility as an owner to ensure that demolition is carried out in a safe manner and all relevant notifications are given.
You must give our Building Control service at least 6 weeks notice of any demolition work you are intending unless it is:
- the result of a demolition order issued by the Council
- an internal part of an occupied building that will continue to be occupied
- a building less than 50m3 externally measured
- a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage even if it is part of a larger building
- an agricultural building which is not adjacent to another building.