See if you could pay less Council Tax

Who is counted as an adult for Council Tax

Some adults are not counted for Council Tax. You could get a reduction on your bill you or anyone living with you are:

  • People on some apprentice schemes
  • 18 or 19-year-olds in full-time education
  • Full-time college or university students
  • Young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
  • Student nurses
  • Foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • People with a severe mental impairment
  • Live-in carers who look after someone who isn't their partner, spouse or child
  • Diplomats

You can also get a discount if someone who usually lives with you is living away. For example:

  • If they are in prison or detained elsewhere
  • If they are a permanent resident in a care, nursing or residential home or in hospital

To work out if you should get a Council Tax discount or exemption:

  1. Count all the adults who live in your home as their main home
  2. Discount anyone in the list above
  3. If you're left with 1 person who counts as an adult, you'll get 25 percent off your bill
  4. If this is your main home and you're left with no-one who counts as an adult, you'll get 50 percent off your bill

Apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption