Deaths, funerals, cremations and cemeteries

Bereavement Support

Tell us once service 

When you register the death the registration officer will ‘capture’ the information and issue you with an access code to use the Tell Us Once service provided by the Department for Work and Pensions for you to notify central and local government agencies about the death of your loved one.

The short information video here explains the Tell Us Once service in more detail.

You will be asked for specific information to cancel things like a passport or driving licence as well as the National Insurance number of the person who has died. Tell Us Once can notify:

  • His Majesty Revenue and Customs (HMRC) – to deal with tax and cancel benefits, for example, tax credits and personal tax
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits or entitlements, for example, State Pension, Universal Credit or Income Support
  • His Majesty Passport Office – to cancel a British passport (you’ll need the passport number and town of birth)
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence (you’ll need the licence number) and remove the person as the keeper of up to 5 vehicles (you'll need the vehicle(s) registration) Road tax is not transferable - You must re-tax the vehicle(s) before being driven
  • The local council – to update records, cancel services or benefits, for example Blue Badge or Housing Benefit
  • Public sector or armed forces pension schemes – to stop pension payments (you’ll need their National Insurance number)

You'll also need the name, address, telephone number and their permission before giving the details of:

  • The surviving spouse or civil partner, along with their National Insurance number and/or date of birth
  • Next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage)
  • The person or company dealing with the deceased’s estate/affairs (property, belongings and money)

Support following a berevement 

Listening Ear

A support service was launched in April 2020 that provides access to free, confidential support during the Coronavirus Pandemic for those who have lost a loved one and those who need support, guidance and advice. This service is called Listening Ear.

Who can refer you/others to the Listening Ear service?

  • Self-referral
  • Police
  • Primary Care Staff
  • Hospital bereavement services staff
  • Mortuary staff
  • Funeral directors
  • Coroner’s office
  • GP’s
  • Crematorium and bereavement services staff
  • Community and Faith organisations

For meaningful support, advice and guidance call freephone 0800 048 5224 or visit

Available Monday to Friday from 10am to 5pm.


To support mental health and wellbeing a new service called RotherHive has been launched online. RotherHive provides a range of verified practical mental health and wellbeing information, support and advice for adults in Rotherham which includes bereavement support.