Register to vote

Who can register to vote

To register you must be:

  • Aged 18 or over (but you can apply to register from age 16)
  • A British citizen, citizen of the Republic of Ireland, citizen of another European Union country or a qualifying Commonwealth citizen
  • Resident in the area

There are special arrangements to be able to register to vote if you are:

  • A British citizen living overseas
  • Serving in HM armed forces or as a Crown servant

The About my Vote website has information on how to register under these circumstances.

If you are student living away from home, you can register at both your home and university term time address. Registering to vote at your term time address means you can choose where you vote.

Everyone is responsible for registering themselves to vote. Electoral registration is a completely separate process and you will not automatically be registered to vote by any other contact you have with the Council, such as when you pay Council Tax or claim Housing Benefit.

When we receive your application, we have to check your identity against Department of Work and Pensions and other records, so applying does not mean that you will be automatically registered. Once we have checked your details, you will receive a letter from us either confirming that you are registered, or asking you for more information.

If you move house, you must re-register to vote.

Visit the Your Vote Matters website