Information about Asymptomatic Testing
Every adult in England will be able to access twice-weekly rapid tests for coronavirus from 9 April.
Lateral flow devices (LFDs) are used to help detect COVID-19. These devices identify people who have high levels of virus who do not have symptoms.
1 in 3 people with coronavirus show no symptoms and therefore can potentially spread it without knowing, the tests enable us to find these cases and prevent the spread of infection.
To make it as easy as possible there are many ways available to access testing:
Workplace testing: Many local employers are offering supervised testing for their employees in the workplace.
- Community collect: You can collect test kits from several local libraries. All you need to do is visit any one of the following libraries and ask for your tests from the reception/welcome desk:
- Kiveton Park
- Mowbray Gardens
- Thorpe Hesley
- You can now collect lateral flow tests from Wath, Aston, and Rotherham Leisure Centres, as well as at Clifton Learning Partnership on Erskine Rd, Rotherham, S65 1RF. Just ask at reception.
- LFD Direct: You can order a box of tests online or through 119, which will be delivered to your home. You can order your lateral flow test on the GOV.UK website.
- Pharmacy collect: You can collect free lateral flow tests to use at home from a participating pharmacy. Use NHS England’s site finder to find pharmacies near you that offer the service.
- From 4 October 2021, you will need to use a collect code when you pick up your tests from pharmacies. Get your code at https://gov.uk/get-collect-code
- Education: Secondary and college students are already being given tests to use at home twice a week, throughout term time and the holidays. Please speak to your school/college for more information.
Rapid tests, or lateral flow tests, are a vital tool in helping to identify cases of coronavirus we would otherwise not find. They allow us to keep businesses open, prevent outbreaks and continue to relax restrictions safely.
These tests are safe, easy to use and give results in 30 minutes, so those who test positive can self-isolate immediately and avoid passing the virus on to others.
Please note: There are two types of Lateral Flow Test kits available, so make sure you read the instructions before you take your test.
Depending on your circumstances, financial support is available to you if you test positive, so you will not lose out on earnings should you be required to self-isolate. You can find out more about the financial support on offer here: 01709 807319 or click here for further information.
If you are self-isolating, there is practical support available from the Rotherham Community Hub. Further information about the Community Hub is available here.
Please remember that a negative result does not mean you are exempt from current guidance. You must continue to follow the rules around social distancing, mask wearing and indoor gatherings in line with the Government’s guidelines.
IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS
If you develop symptoms of Coronavirus you must book a PCR test immediately, either by using the link or by calling 119.