Making changes to your council home

Works needing permission

You must get Council permission before you start work on the following, or other similar work:

  • Decorating the outside of your home
  • Any structural alteration or addition to the building
  • Any change or addition to the fixtures and fittings of your home - including TV aerials and satellite dishes
  • Building a garage, shed or other large structure in your garden
  • Laying a drive or car parking space, or installing a dropped kerb
  • Installing a shower, central heating or gas fire
  • Artexing ceilings - please note, Artexing of walls is not allowed
  • Installing of any CCTV cameras or other surveillance equipment

Other works may also need permission. Please contact us for advice and guidance.

In some cases, your plans may also need building regulations approval or planning permission.

If you do the work without permission, you may have to put it back to how it was. We may also take action to end your tenancy.

Find out more about building approval