Apply for specialist home to college or school 6th form travel assistance
The young person may qualify for additional support travelling to and from school 6th form or college if they fulfil all of the following criteria:-
- Are aged 16-19 and starting full time further education (over 12 guided learning hours per week).
- Live in the Rotherham area.
- Have an Education, Health & Care Plan and have physical or medical needs or disabilities which prevent them from travelling independently on public transport.
- Live over 3 miles from the school 6th form or college which they are attending.
Where relevant, you will be asked to upload a copy of the young person’s medical reports as evidence of any medical or vulnerability conditions. These will be required when making the application to allow a full assessment of transport needs to be undertaken.
Please be aware that transport is not provided free of charge for students who are no longer of statutory school age and attending further education. There is a contributory charge towards the cost of any transport that is arranged and funded by Rotherham Council. If the combined family income is less than £16,190 per year, transport will be provided free of charge. You will need to provide proof of your family’s low income, if appropriate, when you make your application.
The contributory charges are based on the cost of the current concessionary bus fares for public transport in South Yorkshire, which is currently 80p per journey. If transport is required to provision outside the Rotherham borough, these charges are £1.60 per journey.
These charges are based on the number of weeks per school /college term and the actual number of days the learner is attending school/college. The charges are sent to the parent/carer of the young person as 3 separate invoices during the school year, on a termly basis. The invoices will be due for immediate payment. Please ensure that you provide any relevant proof of low income when you make the application for transport to avoid any charges being made.
The documents required as relevant proof are one of the following:
- A Full copy of the current Tax Credit Awards Notice
- A copy of any letters confirming receipt of income support
- A copy of any letters from Rotherham Council confirming the young person is eligible to receive free school meals
Please ensure you have relevant medical evidence and proof of low income information before starting the application form.