A veteran is classed as someone who has served at least one full day in the armed forces (HM Government, 2011).
Definition of the Armed Forces Community
- Regular Personnel: currently serving; Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force
- Merchant Navy: served for at least one day on active service
- Reservists: volunteer reserves and regular reserves
- Veterans: served for at least one day, regular or reserve service
- Families: immediate family; spouses, civil or other partners, children for whom the veteran or their partner are responsible
- Bereaved: immediate family of service personnel or veterans who have died
- Carers: carer for service personnel or veterans
- Cadets: young people who are members of the Army Cadet Force, Sea Cadet Corps or Air Training Corps.