Register a birth

Re-registration of a Birth after Parent’s Marriage or Civil Partnership

A birth can be re-registered if the child’s natural parents have got married or formed a Civil Partnership since the initial birth registration was completed.

If the parents married or formed their civil partnership outside the United Kingdom, one or both parents will need to attend an initial appointment at the Register Office to submit the completed application(s) and supporting documents to the registrar, and the application for re-registration will be referred to the General Register Office for England and Wales for approval. When the register office receives approval, parents will be contacted to arrange an appointment.

The ‘LA1’ application form and guidance on re-registering a child after marriage or civil partnership can be found at GOV.UK.

All re-registrations are by prior appointment which take place at Rotherham Register Office. Make a booking.

The address for the register office is:

Rotherham Register Office
Riverside House
Main Street
South Yorkshire
S60 1AE


You must ensure you arrive on time for your appointment, if you are late, you will not be seen and will need to re-arrange your appointment. If you do not bring the completed application or correct documentary evidence to the appointment, the registration officer will advise you what is needed and make you a new appointment.

If you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment, please follow the link in your confirmation email to do so. If your original booking time has passed, online rescheduling will not be possible, and you will need to contact the register office by telephone on 01709 823542 to reschedule.

It is important that all information is checked carefully by yourselves prior to signing, you will sign the register to agree the information is true to the best of your knowledge and belief.

For errors identified after signing the register entry, a formal application must be made for correction of the entry, supporting documentary evidence be provided and a statutory consideration fee of between £75 and £90 paid. All corrections are considered by the Superintendent Registrar or Registrar General as appropriate. There is no guarantee a correction will be made.


Please note, there is no public parking, other than disabled parking, directly outside Riverside House. There are several car parks nearby. The nearest public car park to Riverside House is the Statutes. Find details of all available parking facilities.