Deaths, funerals, cremations and cemeteries

Funeral Services

This information was updated 20/10/2020.

East Herringthorpe Crematorium offer weekday service times from 9 am to 4.15 pm. The length of crematorium services provided are 45 minutes to allow for a 30 minute service to take place with adequate time to disinfect the chapel between services to ensure a COVID secure environment.

All funeral services can now be attended by a maximum of 30 mourners provided two metres social distancing is applied throughout by those not in the same household or support bubble as defined in Coronavirus Government Guidance

All mourners advised that the traditional wake or celebration of life following a burial or cremation service are limited to a maximum of 15 people.

During these difficult times, it is helpful if families can work closely with funeral directors to use all of the times being offered for services, allowing families to continue to be able to grieve for their loved ones in the way that they wish.

We know how difficult it can be to not attend a loved one’s service. This may be because a person is shielding or displaying symptoms of COVID-19, or the maximum 30 persons has been reached. To enable as many people as possible to be part of the service, a live recording (webcast) of the service is being offered for crematorium services, please request this through your funeral director.

It is usual for people to be unsure of what to do following a bereavement. Bereavement Services in Rotherham are delivered on the Council's behalf by Dignity Funeral Services, who can take you through the initial steps and provide advice on other things you may need to think about when someone you know dies.

Dignity Rotherham

All deaths need to be registered in the district in which they took place, a burial or cremation can take place outside of that district. The Registrar of Births and Deaths can issue you with and advise on the appropriate paperwork.

Please click the link below for more information on registering a death in Rotherham.

Register a death