Short term care

Intermediate care

Intermediate care is a short-term course of rehabilitation and treatment which can stop you from being admitted to hospital or long-term care and will help you to regain your independence and continue to live in your own home for longer.

Intermediate care can also help you to leave hospital safely and stop you from staying in hospital longer than is needed.

We will work with you to find out how able you are to do everyday activities such as washing, dressing, making meals and getting in and out of bed. We will use this information to agree a care plan with you based on your needs.

Intermediate care is provided by a skilled rehabilitation team which will be made up of enablers, physiotherapists and occupational therapists. We will work with you to provide you with the rehabilitation and care agreed in your care plan.

You will normally receive intermediate care for no longer than six weeks. If you need care and support after this we will work with social work staff to plan and arrange other services for you.

Intermediate care is generally provided in community-based settings such as specialist short term stay intermediate care homes, or in your own home. There are 2 intermediate care homes in Rotherham which provide care in a residential setting and are staffed 24 hours a day:

  • Davies Court
  • Lord Hardy Court

Intermediate care in rehabilitation units and in your own home is free for a 6 week period.

We also provide intermediate care in a day care setting through our rehabilitation day service at the Rotherham Intermediate Care Centre.

You can also receive intermediate care in your own home through our community rehabilitation and enabling service.

If you receive intermediate care in the day rehabilitation centre you will be required to pay a small charge for your transport to and from the centre and your meal. 

To get intermediate care, you may be referred by your doctor or GP, your social worker, an occupational therapist, a physiotherapist or a district nurse.

If you are in hospital, a hospital discharge coordinator may also refer you, as well as nursing staff or medical team.

You can also contact Single Point of Access (formerly Assessment Direct) to find out more about intermediate care.

Contact Single Point of Accessi