Local Land Charges

Searches by email or other electronic means

Local Authority e-search

You can request an official Search direct from us by email.

You can order LLC1, Con29R Compiled, or Con29O Compiled, and we'll email a comprehensive reply to you, with a saving of at least two working days on our postal turnaround time.

The search fee (see relevant download) pays for access to all the Council services concerned, who will provide full replies to all questions on the Search forms, completed by experienced staff, and backed up by the Council's guarantee of accuracy.

Because the search request and reply is handled electronically, there can be no problems caused by documents delayed or lost in the post, and we can save paper too! The electronic reply is in a format suitable for inclusion in a conveyancing pack.

All you have to do is fill in the e-search Request Form and email it to us.

Download the e-search Request form

Email your form

If you have a plan in electronic format, please send it with the form. You can pay by Online, by Card or by BACS - please download the ESearch Request Form for details. Should you wish to cancel a search, be aware that no refund will be given after the request has been sent to Council respondents. We'll return the certified form and search results to you as attachments in an email.

We'll also attach extra relevant information relating to the property, including plans showing the location of definitive footpaths, listed buildings and tree preservation orders.


NLIS (The National Land Information Service) manages an online one-stop-shop for land and property related information held by many organisations e.g, Land Registry, Local Land Charges and Water Board. This came into force in February 2001. Rotherham is currently at Level 2, which means that we are able to receive and return searches electronically.

For more information visit the National Land Information Service (NLIS) website.

NILS website

Highway Searches

A highway search checks records of adopted and unadopted highways and gives information about highway improvement schemes. 

Make an enquiry

Coal mining and drainage enquiries

For nationwide coal mining information, visit Ground Stability

Ground Stability

For drainage queries in the Rotherham area, visit Safe-Move.co.uk or Severn Trent Searches


Severn Trent Searches

Further guidance

How to buy a home
A guide to buying a home in England and Wales.

How to sell a home
A guide to selling a home in England and Wales.