Rotherham Council offers 30 electric vehicle charging points across the Borough. Car parking charges may apply.
Types of charging points available at Rotherham Council carparks
There are two different types of electric vehicle charger available:
- Fast chargers (22kW AC) – which can recharge a car fully from empty in around three hours
- Standard chargers (7kW AC) takes around six hours to recharge a car fully from empty.
Typically, one hour charging at a 22kW charger provides about 90 miles of range.
Charging times vary from vehicle to vehicle and may be longer than those quoted. Please refer to your vehicle handbook for details.
Where can I charge my vehicle?
Rotherham Council Electric Vehicle Charging Points can be found at the following locations:
- Drummond Street Car Park, Town Centre (two public sockets)
- Scala Car Park, Town Centre (two public sockets)
- Wellgate Multi-story Car Park, Town Centre (ten public sockets)
- Walker Street Car Park, Swinton (two public sockets)
- Clifton Park Museum, Clifton, (two public sockets)
- Rawmarsh Library, Rawmarsh, (two public sockets)
- Aston Library and Neighbourhood Hub, Aston, (two public sockets)
- Wath Upon Dearne Community Library Car Park, Wath, (two public sockets)
- Thyrbergh County Park, Thrybergh, (two public sockets)
- Rother Valley Country Park – Visitor Centre, Rother Valley (two public sockets)
- Rother Valley Country Park – Water Sports Centre, Rother Valley (two public sockets)
How do I use Rotherham Council charging points?
The operating system for the charging units is run by a company called NewMotion, also known as Shell Recharge. The Shell Recharge RFID swipe card and App are fully compatible with this system.
You can become a member of NewMotion for free by visiting https://my.newmotion.com/signup/ or downloading the NewMotion app on Android and IOS.
Once you join, you'll receive a NewMotion RFID card which you can scan at the charging point to use it. As well as allowing you to use the charging points in Rotherham, it will allow you to use any NewMotion charging point in the UK and across Europe.
If you don't want to become a member, you can use the charging points by downloading a QR code reader to your smartphone or device.
We advise that you sign up to the NewMotion membership as the card is easier to use and does not rely on mobile phone reception or battery.
Charge using the NewMotion App or RFID Card
This charge point can be activated using your NewMotion RFID card or the NewMotion app.
- Connect your vehicle to the charge point.
- Activate by tapping your NewMotion RFID card on the charge point's communication terminal or by using the NewMotion app on your smartphone or device.
- Your electric vehicle should now start charging.
- To stop charging, tap your NewMotion RFID card again, or use the NewMotion app.
Charge using a QR code to charge your vehicle (EV)
If you don't have a NewMotion RFID card, fob or mobile phone app, you can use the QR code on the EV charge point using your smartphone or device.
- Connect the cable to your EV first and then to the charge point.
- Locate the QR code on the charge point.
- Open a QR scanning/reading app on your smartphone/device.
- Scan the QR code. You will be directed to the NewMotion website which will prompt you to decide whether you would like to progress with a charge. If you want to charge, you have an option either to enter your payment card details for direct payment or pay via the NewMotion app.
- Your EV should now start charging
- You can stop the charge via the app that is open on your device.
Please remove the cable from the charge point socket after using the charging point.
Please report any issues with any charge points directly to NewMotion by:
Email: [email protected]
Via the website: www.newmotion.com
A further 10 free Electric Vehicle Charging Points can be found in the multi-story car park above Rotherham Interchange provided by South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive. For information on how to use these points, please refer to signage at the charging points in the Interchange.