Arrange a marriage or civil partnership

Notice of marriage or civil partnership appointments

A notice of marriage or civil partnership must be given to marry or form a civil partnership in a register officer, licensed civil ceremony venue, or non-conformist church (Roman Catholics, Baptists, Jehovah’s Witnesses etc).

A notice of marriage or civil partnership cannot be given for a Church of England/Wales. The vicar must read Banns – please contact the church directly to arrange this.

A notice can be given to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment for marrying abroad in some countries. You can check online if a Certificate of No impediment can be issued for the country you plan to marry by visiting Getting married abroad - GOV.UK (

Every country has different validity requirements, it is your responsibility to check the legal requirements with the country in which you are planning to have your legal ceremony in.

Persons subject to Immigration Control

If one or both of you are subject to immigration control, you will need to attend the register office in the district where at least one of you lives to give your notice of marriage. If one or both of you are subject to immigration control and do not have the appropriate immigration status or visa for marriage or civil partnership, notice can still be given with a mandatory referral being made to Home Office to determine whether the marriage or civil partnership can proceed.