Arrange a marriage or civil partnership

Documents you will need

You must provide certain documents when you give notice of marriage. You need an appointment at the register office to give notice.

Every person giving notice must produce evidence of:

  • Name and surname
  • Date of birth
  • Nationality
  • Home address
  • Condition (whether you are single, divorced or widowed)

Both you and your partner must provide any of:

  • A valid passport
  • Your birth certificate. If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, we also need your mother’s birth certificate. Or your father’s birth certificate, if your parents were married when you were born.
  • A certificate of registration as a British citizen granted by the Secretary of State
  • A certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen granted by the Secretary of State
  • If you are an EEA national, a six digit code to share your EU Settlement Status
  • If you are not a British or EEA national with settled, pre-settled or pending status you will also be required to provide evidence of Right of Abode, Indefinite Leave to Remain or Indefinite Leave to Enter, Diplomatic or Military exemption, or a relevant visa or entry clearance for the purpose of enabling marriage in the United Kingdom e.g a fiancé/e or marriage visitor

You must also bring one of these documents:

  • A gas, water or electricity bill dated within the last three months
  • A bank or building society statement dated within the last month
  • A Council Tax bill from the last 12 months
  • A mortgage statement from the last 12 months
  • A current residential tenancy agreement
  • A valid United Kingdom driving licence. This must be in the name of the person giving notice of marriage. The licence can be full or provisional and issued by the UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands.

Registration Service Privacy Policy

This policy explains how the information we collect about you is used and your rights in relation to that information.