Paying for Adult Care Services

Help paying for non-residential care

How much do care and support services cost?

Non-residential care and support services are care services provided outside a care home setting. There are charges for care and support services

Some services are charged at a flat rate and are payable by all users of the service regardless of their financial circumstances. These are:

  • Transport

£5.94 per return journey (flat rate)

  • Blue Car Badge

£10.00 per badge (flat rate)

  • Rothercare Alarm Service

£171.08 per year / £3.29 per week (flat rate)

For other services you can apply for financial help towards the cost. The amount of help you will receive will vary depending on your personal circumstances and so you must have a financial assessment to work out whether or not you qualify and if so how much help you will get. The costs for these services are:

  • Home Care/Community Support/Shared Lives/Direct Payments

£18.30 per hour up to a maximum of £606.00 per week (subject to financial assessment)

  • Day Services

£34.56 per day (subject to financial assessment)

  • Supported Living

Individually priced per scheme/placement

Financial assessment

The financial assessment takes into account any income and capital you have. If you have capital of more than £23,250 in your own right or joint savings with a partner/spouse of more than £46,500, then you will not be entitled to any financial assistance and you will be charged for full cost of your care services up to the maximum contribution of £606 per week.

If you have capital between £14,250 and £23,250 a savings tariff will be included in your financial assessment. Capital below £14,250 will not be included in the financial assessment. These income limits are set by central government.

Capital includes money in any bank accounts including current, savings and deposit accounts, premium bonds, savings bonds, NS&I, ISA’s, stocks shares etc.

The value of your main home and personal belongings are not included as part of the financial assessment. However if you own other properties, you will not qualify for financial assistance, and will have to pay the full cost of your care.

The financial assessor will need to see proof of your income, capital and expenditure, so please have this information available, for example, saving account books, bank statements, share certificates and bills. You can have a relative, friend or other representative with you during the assessment.

After your financial assessment is completed, we will let you know how much financial assistance you are eligible for and how much of your own money you will need to contribute, towards the cost of your care. A yearly review of the amount you pay will also be carried out when benefit rates change.

If your circumstances change you should contact the financial assessments team who will check that you are paying the right amount.

The council's charging policy complies with the Care Act 2014 which aims to provide a reasonable and fair charging framework for all service users.

You can refuse to have a financial assessment.  However, if you don't you will be classed as a self-funder and will be expected to pay the maximum contribution towards the cost of your care, regardless of your financial circumstances.

How do I pay?

As the contribution you pay might not always be the same, for example if you are away from home and do not require home care for a few days, we will send you a statement each month setting out how much you need to pay. Further information can be found on the How to Pay for Social Care Page

Non-payment of contributions

The council has a debt recovery policy which is implemented if you do not pay your charges for four weeks. Non-payment may result in court action.

If you think the contribution you have been asked to pay is unfair, you can also submit an appeal.

How to appeal

You can send your appeal in writing to: Financial Assessments Team, Revenue and Payments, Riverside House, Main Street, Rotherham S60 1AE.

We will write to you to acknowledge your appeal and send details of the appeals procedure. You can also request a copy of the appeals procedure online.

Independent financial advice

You should always seek independent financial advice regarding your long term funding options for your care and support costs,