Rotherham Council are committed corporate parents, we use language that reflects this, we want everything to be the best that parents want for their children.
- That they are happy and healthy both physically and emotionally.
- That we keep them safe and protected from harm and exploitation.
- That we support them into adulthood and that we prepare them for independence.
- We are ambitious for our children; we want them to achieve their potential and participate in decisions which affect their lives.
- Our children and young people should be supported to live in their own communities wherever it is safe to do so
- Every child has the right to a family life. Intensive support will be provided to children and families on the edge of care and a family based placement will be the first priority for all looked after children.
- Where residential care is needed, the service is focused as ‘an intervention not a destination’. This means that residential care is an intervention in itself and is there to help children move on to family based settings or independence, not as a place that children stay indefinitely.
- Our children’s home will be small and replicate a stable and happy family home, where children can receive therapeutic care and support to develop their potential.
Our overarching ambition is to be a child–friendly borough, which is part of our commitment to create a performance-led culture that puts the child at the centre of everything we do. We want our children and young people to be physically healthier and emotionally happier.