Help with saving money

Save money on Council Tax

If you are having difficulty making payments, please contact us as soon as possible.

We can help you to manage your payments or claim a reduction, discount or exemption on your bill.

Request to spread your payments

Get help to pay

Discretionary Funding

The council has been allocated some discretionary funding to provide support to other energy bill payers who are not eligible for the main scheme. This could include households living in property valued in bands E – H. Once the eligibility criteria have been established, we will update this web page with the details of who may be eligible and how they should apply.

Having problems paying your Council Tax – Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council

Council Tax Discounts

You might be able to pay less council tax or not pay it at all depending on your circumstances.

You might be able to get:

  • Discounts - for example, for a single person, an empty property or for a student.
  • Council Tax Reduction (CTR) if you have low income.
  • A different reduction if you can’t get much CTR.

Council Tax discount applications – Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council

Students and Council Tax

Households where everyone’s a full-time student do not have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

You’ll get a Council Tax bill if there’s someone in your household who’s not a full-time student, but your household might still qualify for a discount.

For more information click here: How Council Tax works: Discounts for full-time students - GOV.UK (

Other advice

If you have difficulty paying your Council Tax or any other debts, you can get free advice and help from:

National Debt Line

Citizens Advice Bureau