Licensing for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

What do I need to make a licence application?

When you apply for a licence you will need to provide the following documents and guarantees:

  • produce a valid gas safety certificate annually, where appropriate
  • keep all electrical appliances and furniture in a safe condition
  • prove that all smoke alarms are correctly positioned and in working order
  • provide all occupiers with a written statement of the terms on which they occupy the property, often known as a 'tenancy agreement'

The licence cannot relate to more than one property or be transferred to another person. It will last for a maximum of 5 years and will specify the number of people who may live in the HMO.