Council Tax discount applications

Students with a non-British partner or dependant

If a full-time student has a non-British husband/wife, civil partner or dependants who are over 18 years of age, who hold a visa, we may be able to grant a discount, but it depends on the terms of their visa. To get the discount, the visa must prevent the person from:
• taking paid employment in the UK or
• claiming benefits in the UK.
If someone is eligible for this discount and they are the only non-student living at the address where all the other residents are students, an exemption will apply. This means there will be no Council Tax to pay at all.

You will have to send us a copy of your partner's/dependants passport(s) along with the student application detail that we need for the student.

Apply for student discount