Severe Mental Impairment discount for council tax
A person will be disregarded for Council Tax purposes as a person with a Severe Mental Impairment if:
- they have an impairment of intelligence, understanding, social functioning or interaction, which appears to be permanent, and
- this can be verified by the person’s doctor, who must sign and complete a Doctor’s Certificate in support of their application, and
- is entitled to one of the following qualifying benefits listed below or would be entitled to one of the above benefits but for reaching pensionable age, or
- has a partner in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance which has been increased on the grounds of their incapacity for work.
List of qualifying benefits
- Attendance Allowance,
- The care component of a Disability Living Allowance (middle or higher rate),
- Incapacity Benefit,
- Severe Disablement Allowance,
- An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension (where constant attendance is needed),
- Disability Working Allowance,
- Unemployability Supplement,
- Constant Attendance Allowance,
- Unemployability Allowance,
- Employment Support Allowance,
- Income Support or employment support allowance where the applicable amount includes a disability premium.
- Either rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
- Universal credit which includes an amount in respect of the fact that the person in question has limited capability for work
- A 100% exemption will apply if all the adult occupiers of a property meet the discount criteria of Severe Mental Impairment or Student. In such a case the appropriate application should be submitted separately for each adult.
As part of the application process you will have to download a consent form and complete it before you proceed with your application. The consent form authorises the Council to make enquiries on your behalf of the doctor and Department of Works and Pensions and will have to be uploaded as part of the application process.
We would also request that you upload proof of benefits received in order to speed up the application process.
If your application is successful, your discount will be reviewed annually.