Look for a council home

Find a council home

Before you look for a council home you must first register your details with Keychoices. Once you have registered you will receive a Unique reference number. This will allow you to log in and complete a Housing Application Registration Form.

Keychoices advertise available properties on a daily basis. If you qualify to join our Housing Register you can express an interest in properties.

When you apply you will need to provide proof of the following documents which are relevant to you:

  • evidence of your right to live in the UK if you are not a British Citizen. This could be your passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office
  • identity for everyone who is moving. Documents such as passport, birth certificate, driving licence.
  • income (1 months full bank statement, pay slips, benefit award letters)
  • current address (recent gas or electricity bill)
  • details of your address history for the past 5 years
  • your local connection to Rotherham. This may be proof of address of relatives for past 3 years or proof of employment

Depending on your circumstances we may ask you for proof of:

  • bank account (it will be mandatory to pay your rent by Direct Debit)
  • pregnancy including MAT B1 form
  • child benefit
  • overnight access to children
  • a recent rent payment statement from your landlord, if you are renting

All documents provided must be originals, up to date and valid. For a full list of acceptable documents contact the Housing Advice Team.

Your application will not become active on the Housing Register without these documents.

Before you receive an offer of a property we will re check your documents. We may ask you to provide further information to support your application.

See our Housing Allocation Policy

Sign in to your housing account