To apply for a Private Hire or Hackney Carriage Driver Licence you must:
- be able to work legally in the UK
- have held a full driving licence for at least 2 years
You must also be a ‘fit and proper person’, which means your background and character will be checked.
You will need to complete the following:
- Driver licence application
- Knowledge test
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- BTEC Level 2 Certificate Introduction to Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver
- Completion of an approved safeguarding children and vulnerable people course
- Advanced driving skills test to Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency standards
- Medical examination report
The Council's licensing policy and supporting information must be read and understood by all drivers and operators. You will not be allowed to drive hackney carriages or private hire vehicles during the application process.