Educating your child at home

Making sure your child receives an education

You need to let us know if you are planning to or already are educating your child at home. You can let us know this even if your child is not yet of school age. You should also let us know if your family has moved to Rotherham and any of your children are home educated.

If your child is not registered at school you may be investigated for your child being 'missing from education'. For this reason you need to confirm that you are home educating them.

The Council can apply for a School Attendance Order if:

  • Your child is not registered at school
  • You have made no other arrangements for their education

It is an offence if you do not follow the requirements of an order.

Find out more about school attendance requirements